Insomnia and Sleep Difficulties
Insomnia is difficulty in initiating and/or maintaining sleep/ It is a term that is used to indicate any and all stages and types of sleep loss. Insomnia is not a disorder, it is a symptom and is an extremely common complaint. It can be divided into two categories:
- Sleep onset insomnia – difficulty falling asleep
- Maintenance insomnia – frequent or early wakening
Many psychological factors contribute to insomnia: anxiety, tension, fear, pain, environmental factors, drugs, alcohol, coffee, hypoglycaemia and food sensitivities.
Some of the nutritional treatments suggested include:
- avoid all tea, coffee, alcohol and chocolate
- check and treat hypoglycaemia
- check and correct food intolerances
- include a regular exercise programme
- avoid drinking excess fluids at night
- reduce stress and anxiety
For help with any of these aspects and to get yourself back into a good regular sleeping pattern, please don’t hesitate to give me a call to make an appointment.
For appointments call 01794 513153 or email email@example.com